HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Monday, August 1, 2011

First Day of School.....AGAIN!

I can't believe today is the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! I know most schools in the U.S. aren't starting until the end of the month or even in September but the majority of public schools in Hawaii started today. What about you? When does school start where you live?

Much like last year I was definitely a little bummed that summer vacation was over. Trust me, Kailani felt the same way. As a matter of fact this morning she said, "Mom, if I could be any princess this morning it would be Sleeping Beauty...or Snow White.....or any princess that is sleeping." Funny girl(that doesn't even like princesses!)

However, there was ONE thing she was looking forward to - her "First Day of School" cake. It's something we've been doing since she started kindergarten! It's always a simple cake (because I can do no other - HA!) with the new grade decorated on top. This year's topping made me giggle a little. I have to give Momo credit!

So here she is on her first day of 4th grade, followed by pictures of her first day of 3rd, 2nd, 1st and kindergarten. It's amazing to see how much she has changed throughout the years!






Hope everyone has a great new school year!

Sharing this post with Tip Junkie's "Tip Me Tuesday":

Tip Junkie handmade projects

6 comments:

  1. wow! that's so crazy early! when does the school year finish? we don't start until the week after labour day. and this year will be the jellybean's first day of school ever. in ontario kids start at age 4 in junior kindergarden. seems crazy young to me. i love the idea of the back to school cake. i might just have to steal that idea from you!

    -smothermother (Julie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful girl and a great idea! I noticed that as she gets older, the decorations get simpler! Simpler? Is that a word? More simple. Maybe that's what it should be. Anyway, love the idea and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love traditions. Looking at the smile on Kailani, it's obvious that she loves the tradition you've created also! Hope your little girl had a brilliant first day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - yes! It is early...even though the kids get out at the very end of May. With this modified schedule though the kids get more breaks throughout the year. I really don't know which one I prefer!

    imklvr - you are right! The decorations got WAAAAY simpler! Mama just got smarter (or lazier!) HA!

    Caitlin - she absolutely LOVES the tradition and this year even reminded me that I needed to buy cake mix! :) And yes....she had a GREAT day! I was SO relieved!

    Thanks everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very cool! I like the idea. And looking at your blog makes me miss the islands. I graduated from Radford on Oahu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pneumaoflife - Alma Mater! I'm a Radford grad as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!