HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Yummy Valentine's Day Craft

Tomorrow my daughter's first grade class is having a little Valentine's Day celebration. I decided to make her teachers a little something for the occasion. Take a look:


I wish I could take credit for such a cute little project but I cannot. I give thanks to Kris over at the "You Can Make This" blog for the ingenious idea!

All in all the project should've only taken about 15 minutes. However, my intention was to make it just as shown on the YCMT blog with the salt water taffy on the top. The taffy really gives it a frothy look. The problem was finding the taffy! I lost count of how many stores I went into only to be disappointed. Finally I actually found some taffy in a box. (YES!) Unfortunately to my surprise when I opened the box the taffies were shaped like long Tootsie Rolls rather than the cute little round shapes I was expecting! (NO!) I really had no other option but to work with what I had. I tried melting the taffy and reshaping it but that didn't work. I tried idea after idea and was just not happy with it. So then I attempted to use some heart shaped marshmallows that I bought as a potential back-up. YES! They turned out pretty cute!

To see the actual tutorial click here: Yummy Valentine Centerpiece Tutorial

For other inspirational ideas check out what some other mamas came up with! Here is one with a popcorn ball top and another with a peppermint candy top.

Happy Valentine's Day!

5 comments:

  1. OMG so cute! Now I know what to do for C next year...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the marshmellows are darling! did you hot glue the marshmellows or did you use toothpicks? Or candy melts? Do tell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what mama's spit can do? LOL No, no.....I used a hot glue gun to get the marshmallows to stick! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon!!! Wow! Those turned out so cute! I am very impressed with your perseverance on this project- so sorry to hear the taffy caused delays in the process! But your marshmallow idea worked out perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The marshmellows look great on top-cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!