HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese Cups

We've got the sickies in our house! Fever, coughing, whining.....thank goodness no vomiting! So I feel as if I have been cooped up and unproductive. You would think that by being "stuck" at home I would get a lot of sewing, cleaning, etc. done but when constantly interrupted by two little ones....I give up!

*Sigh*


But I still have to feed the family. I've tried a couple of new recipes over the last couple of days and thought I'd share one with you all...macaroni and cheese cups.
The first time I had these was about two years ago - when my fabulous cook of a brother-in-law made some fancy-schmancy ones. I believe he used this recipe or something similar. I'm embarrassed to say that I couldn't stop shoveling them into my mouth. Actually - EVERYONE was. I would've fought for the last one...but that would be rather immature, right? ;) Anyways. I made something similar last night tweaking different recipes I found on the internet:

Here's one on it's own little special plate.
It deserves it's own plate. Trust me.


Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
  • 1/2 pound uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
  • 1/3 cup toasted bread crumbs
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Grease muffin cups with butter. Alternative - spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. I did this on my second batch and didn't notice a difference in looks or taste. That'll save you a few calories.
  3. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 minutes. Add milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir 3 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses. Fold in macaroni.
  4. Divide macaroni and cheese among prepared muffin cups. (Note - I used a regular size 12-count cupcake/muffin pan and made 16 macaroni cups.) Top with toasted bread crumbs.
  5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes in pans, remove carefully using sharp knife.
They also reheat well. I know. I just ate three of them. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Those look yummy! E loves mac and cheese so I be this would be a hit. Sorry to hear you are all under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the UBP

    I love mac & cheese- and not the boxed kind!

    Hope everyone feels better soon!

    Have a great time blog-hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a huge hit in our house..lol Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks good but my arteries are clogging just thinking about eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delish!

    Hope everyone is better soon at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks SO GOOD! Do they come out pick-up-able like finger food? I'm guessing yes. My kids love Muffins. This sounds like a great way to make them eat something other than muffins!

    Whoo hoo! Another winner from your blog. I LOVE your blog. HUGS, and get well sooon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!