HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pillowcase Dresses....


Recently a friend of mine asked me to make some pillowcase dresses for her daughters. She showed me some examples of prints that she liked and gave me free reign to pick and choose what fabrics I wanted to use. How heavenly is that? (*Thanks "C"!!!*)

It was fun picking out the fabrics and seeing the dresses come together.
However, in making them I did learn a few things.

1) Pillowcase dresses are not "one size fits all" as it seems to be. I had to do some tweaking to make them fit just right. Which makes me question how people can sell pillowcase dresses without knowing how wide to make them? While most of the sellers on Etsy provide some kind of sizing chart showing the length of the dresses I couldn't find one that provided the width. So I'm assuming that most of the dresses are being made according to the size of a standard pillowcase (21" x 32"). Easy enough, but again.....they DO NOT FIT EVERYONE! If you have any feedback (as a buyer or a seller) on this please let me know!

2) I now get why some sellers sell their pillowcase dresses for $25-$30. It's not so much the work that is put into but it's the cost of the fabric - especially if it's designer fabric. For me to purchase designer fabrics here locally I have to pay approximately $11.00-$12.00 a yard.
Which brings me to this question: "Where is your favorite place to purchase fabric online?" Leave me a comment telling me your favorite place! I love Etsy so if you have a favorite Etsy seller please tell me who it is! Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. I love love the dresses!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!! My girls are going to wear this sucks out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite places to by fabric online....
    www.reprodepot.com
    www.thefabricfairy.com
    www.crybabysboutique.com/
    www.naturesfabrics.com
    www.overrainbow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been drooling on this one etsy shop for a while. She gets around the sizing problem by making matching sashes. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&story_fbid=110436292317896&id=1331512905#!/photo.php?pid=4958673&id=85829111053&fbid=404736766053

    you made beautiful dresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney - I am definitely going to add the picture of you wearing the shirt! LOL Glad you like them....thanks so much for the opportunity! :)

    "Anonymous" (I know who you are! lol) Thank you so much for all the links!

    Peggy - a sash isn't a bad idea! Thanks for the link! She's got some cute stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the prints :) I can't sew for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful as always! What a lucky friend you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow-Those are adorable! I admire your talent :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!