HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Monday, June 1, 2009

Broiled Sushi Recipe

WAIT! Before you think, "Sushi - ewww.....raw fish!" read me!

For every person that I know that loves sushi there are two more that hate it! There is a lot of confusion as to what sushi is so let me explain briefly.

According to Wikipedia: In Japanese cuisine sushi is vinegar rice, usually topped with other ingredients, such as fish.

Sashimi on the other hand means raw fish/seafood.

Many non-Japanese use the two words interchangeably when actually the two dishes are completely different. Sushi refers to vinegared rice which may be served with seafood (raw/cooked) and/or vegetables. Sashimi specifically refers to the raw fish/seafood alone.

So....... "sushi" does not necessarily mean raw fish!

On that note I have a recipe for you. Broiled sushi! For those of you that are still a little scared, not to worry. There is no raw fish in this!
Funny thing is, there is no vinegar in the rice either. Go figure!

Broiled Sushi Recipe

Ingredients:
3-4 cups of cooked rice
1 cup sour cream
1 cup light mayonnaise
8-10 sticks imitation crab meat, chopped
9-10 shiitake mushrooms, chopped (fresh or dried)

furikake nori* (see note at bottom)
Korean nori (seaweed)** - optional (see note at bottom)
Sriracha hot chili sauce - optional but highly recommended


Instructions:
1) Prepare the mushrooms - if you are lucky enough to be able to find fresh shiitake mushrooms simply remove and discard the stems, rinse and chop. If you are using dried shiitake mushrooms follow the instructions on the bag for preparation. Usually it consists of soaking the mushrooms in warm water for approximately 30 minutes, squeezing the excess moisture out, removing the stems then chopping them. You can also save the stock for soup!

Dried Shiitake Mushrooms

Soaking

2) Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, mushrooms and shredded crab.

2) Spread cooked rice in a 9x13" glass dish or pan.

3) Sprinkle generous amounts of furikake nori over the rice.


4) Top with crab mixture.

5) Broil until brown. (Usually 8-10 minutes.)

6) Optional -
top with Sriracha hot chili sauce. Warning - it is hot!

7) Spoon individual portions into Korean nori or eat it without!

A couple of notes:

*Furikake nori - there are many different kinds of furikake to choose from. Many are flavored and the flavoring can be overpowering! I would recommend getting a very basic furikake that only contains sesame seeds, seaweed flakes, salt and sugar. This is the one I use.

**Nori is "seaweed". There is a variety of nori to choose from, including different flavors, sizes, etc. Also - Korean nori is different from Japanese nori. While many may find Japanese nori to be a bit bland Korean nori is toasted with sesame oil and sprinkled with salt. You can use either. Or - eat it without the nori! (Or be like my daughter and ONLY eat the seaweed!)

Reheats well!

Itadakimasu!

12 comments:

  1. YUMM! This is right up my alley. I wish I saw this earlier. I just got back from the Asian Market. I also like how you think -- i would totally eat that for breakfast. Hey sometimes I eat kimchi at breakfast with my eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sushi/sashimi, but not the raw fish kind. This recipe sounds interesting. Thank you for stopping by my blog during the sew mama sew giveaway. Stop by again sometime and see what is up. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'd have any better luck getting my hubs to eat this than I do sushi!

    I'm following you from the MBC Under 100 Club. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make this look easy! I would love to give this a try and get my kids eating sushi, too. They are pretty adventurous eaters, and if they helped me make it, I'm sure they would try it and like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Susan - with sushi I usually stick with the vegetable kind - or at least cooked seafood. I can't say that I'm very brave in the fish department but I vowed to be more adventurous! (gulp)

    *Rae Ann - thanks for stopping by! I need to get back over to MBC - I've just been so crazy busy!

    *Deb - If you make it let me know how it turns out! You are so lucky that your kids are adventurous eaters! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good! I love to try interesting, different recipes. So I will try broiled sushi soon.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm following you now from MBC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim! Kimchi & eggs for breakfast sounds good to me! Have you ever had kimchi jun(kimchi pancakes)?

    (Okay - can you tell I'm a little excited that someone else actually eats the stuff? lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um...sounds interesting...you know I love Sharon but there are someplaces I just can't follow ya'! I am a weird Korean, I don't like anything from the sea, odd seeing how I come from a pennisula country. Have tried cucumber rolls and I think it's the saltiness that gets to me. I don't even like kimchi, can you believe it. I think I may have to turn my Korean card in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I love my sushi and sashimi! This sounds really good, I will have to try it...when there's more than just me in the house to eat it cause you know Trav ain't havin it..haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Yonca - thanks for stopping by!

    *Katie - LOL I'm coming for your Korean card!

    *Steph - that's just another reason why we are BFF's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fabulous! My husband will probably eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was planning on making this for dinner and realized I forgot the mushrooms. Tomorrow is Pizza night so I guess this weekend...

    Darn I was craving this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!