HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Sunday, March 21, 2010

King's Hawaiian Bread - Mini Turkey & Cheese Sandwiches


Growing up as a military brat I spent a majority of my childhood living in Japan. My father was in the Air Force and at times had to go TDY (temporary duty assignment) back to the United States. On occasion I remember him bringing back King's Hawaiian Sweetbread - you know, the kind in the round pan? We wouldn't even cut slices - we'd just tear off big hunks of bread and eat it.

Now I have kids of my own and guess what? Surprise, surprise....they love King's Hawaiian bread as well. It's a toss-up though, between the original sweet bread and the savory butter! The rolls are the perfect size for mini sandwiches!

One of my favorite sandwiches to make for potlucks is mini turkey and cheese sandwiches with a poppy seed topping. The recipe can be found via AllRecipes - but I'll post it here as well. The original recipe calls for chopped ham but I substitute chopped turkey. I also always use King's Hawaiian bread - "Savory Butter". Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp dried minced onions
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 cup butter, melted
24 dinner rolls - I prefer 2 packages of King's Hawaiian savory butter
1/2 lb chopped turkey
1/2 lb thinly sliced Swiss cheese (I use 1/2 slice of Swiss cheese per sandwich)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. In a small mixing bowl combine onion flakes, mustard, poppy seeds and butter.
  3. Split each dinner roll. Make a sandwich of the ham and cheese and the dinner rolls. Arrange the sandwiches on a baking sheet. Drizzle the poppy seed mixture over the sandwiches.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve warm. (They reheat well - that is IF you have any leftovers!)

5 comments:

  1. Mmm... sounds yummy!

    I didn' know you lived in Japan as a child. I've always wanted to go. Someday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you bringing these to MOMS potlucks at Kapiolani Park. MMMMmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello.... You're speaking my language here. I mean really, this sandwich is a work of ART! Believe me... I know sandwiches... Your blog is really great. So glad I happened upon it. Hope one day you'll make it over to mine. I'd be honored. I lived Hawaii for more than 20 years, and Japan for 6 months. Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat tons of this bread. C uses the little rolls for her school lunches. The recipe sounds so delish, totally making it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!