HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Letter B....

Two weeks ago the Honolulu Mommies started a series of play dates called, "ABC & Me." The intention of these play dates is to introduce a letter of the alphabet to our preschool kids (ages 1-4ish) via crafts, games, story time, etc. This is something I've been wanting to do with Momo but have kept it on the backburner for awhile now. I jumped at the opportunity to participate.

At our first get together we started with the obvious, letter "A." It was fun and the kids really enjoyed it. I went ahead and volunteered to do "B." Scary. It's been awhile since I did any kind of teaching but everything went fine. (And when I did start to stress I just reminded myself that these were preschoolers - they are truly not going to notice if I make a mistake or forget something!)

After a quick review of "A" I introduced "B" and it's sound. I brought a box full of items that start with the letter "B" such as a bunny, basket, ball, bubbles, blanket, etc. and then read (actually had my 7-year old helper read) "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See." After each "....what do you see?" the kids repeated the line. It was really cute. We then followed up with a related craft.

I had already made some bears on craft sticks so all the kids had to do was repeat what I said and then glue/stick the corresponding item onto the bear. Such as:

"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see.....":
  • I see a bow stuck on me...
  • I see a band-aid on my knee...
  • I see buttons stuck on me....
  • I see a butterfly flying next to me....
  • and then finally, I see the letter "B" on me....

Momo hard at work. (Thanks to Stephanie for the picture!)

No...the pictures is not backwards. The "B" is. ;)

The end result was really cute! I have to thank Katie from Katie's Nesting Spot for the great idea! Can't wait to see what "C" Brings!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun project. Sounds like a great group. I feel I am slacking lately in building teachable moments into our day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!