I happened to notice on my father's refrigerator one that Kailani did for him nearly three years ago:
On the inside is written, "I love you THIS much":
When you pull the hands out the length of the ribbon it is the same length as when your kiddos stretch their arms out to show you how much they love you. Isn't that sweet?
With Mother's Day coming up I thought this might be a good project to share with everyone. I can't be for certain but I believe I got the idea from Family Fun magazine. Obviously it can be done for anyone at any time of the year. Kailani decided to make one for daddy since daddy is away right now.
Here are the supplies you will need:
1) construction paper or card stock
2) yarn or ribbon
3) markers, crayons, pencils, etc.
4) other types of crafts to decorate such as stickers, Foamies, stamps, pom poms, buttons, glitter glue, etc.
6) glue or tape
7) hole puncher (optional)
Kailani will now show you how it's done. :)
1) First thing you have to do is trace both hands (older kids can trace their own.) If you have a wiggle worm who is not going to sit still for you long enough to trace both hands then trace one and cut out two copies.
2) Cut out the hands. (If you can handle seeing mistakes or uneven cuts go ahead and let your older kiddo cut it themselves. I was itching to take over the cutting but I resisted. It was hard, but I did it. GOOOOO me!)
3. Optional - punch a small hole in the palm of each hand. This is where you will thread the ribbon. If you don't want to punch a hole you can always use tape later.
4. Write "I love you THIS much" on the inside of the hands. You can write a little on each hand or write it all on one.
4. Decorate both hands, inside and out with stickers, stamps, pom poms, etc. Kailani cut out a heart from different colored card stock and wrote "To Daddy" on one and "From Kailani" on the other. If you do this don't paste it on just yet!
5. Using yarn or ribbon measure out your kiddos outstretched hands and cut.
6. Thread ribbon through the holes and tape on the outside.
8. Tape/glue the "to" and "from" hearts over the taped ribbon. Finish decorating.
Inside of hands: