HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Yakisoba Recipe

It's been a busy couple of days - I had been preparing for a yard sale and if you've ever done one you know how much work it entails! Will update more on it later.

It's recipe time!

I thought I'd share one of my all time favorite meals - yakisoba! Translated yakisoba means "fried noodles." It is the Chinese equivalent to chow mein. However, I am very particular about my yakisoba. My all-time favorite is Sapporo Ichiban. I'm sure my Yokota and Hawaii friends know what I am talking about but for everyone else it looks like this:



If you're lucky you can find it in the international/Asian aisle of your grocery store. My dear non-Asian friends....do NOT be afraid of this little package with Japanese writing all over it! ;) If you can find it, BUY IT! It's usually pretty cheap - costs a little more than ramen but as you all know ramen is cheap! One package claims to make two servings but we know better. I would say it's more like a package per person.

Unfortunately, since leaving Hawaii I have not had much luck finding it. In Virginia I would occasionally find it in the Asian grocery store and when I do I buy a case of it! Since moving to N.C. I have had NO luck whatsoever! Well, my dad must've heard me whining about it because this is what was delivered to the house the other day:


Sixty packages! Holy smokes! My father found it online at Very Asia. They have it for $.69 a piece or 30 for $16.00 (plus shipping.) Sixty packages sounds like a lot but it won't last for too long in this house! ;)

I recently I found out that a former classmate of mine from Yokota High School (Japan) shares the same love of this particular yakisoba. Ammy over at Tiggerprr's Scratching Post wrote about it and posted a recipe on her blog. So instead of writing up my own I will link you to hers! Click here for Ammy's recipe. Thanks Ammy!

By the way, since so many kids have an "allergy" to vegetables you can make this recipe plain without all the added ingredients. It also tastes really good with some fried up bacon! "ITADAKIMASU!!!"

2 comments:

  1. I love this brand, too! But sadly I can't eat wheat anymore b/c I found out recently I have celiacs. I don't care about bread but noodles? I will miss my asian noodle dishes. Pho contains rice noodles so I can eat that but it's just not the same as ramen, Okinawan soba (my fave), yakisoba, and Japanese cold noodles (can't remember the name). :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooooo! No noodles?!? You poor thing!

    Cold noodles has to be somen!

    And I love pho too! Wait. Is there any asian noodle dish that I don't like? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!