HOME           ABOUT ME          RECIPES        

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Graduation

*Sigh*

My kiddo is graduating today.

From 1st grade, that is.

Where did the time go? When I think of kindergarten and 1st grade I think of itty-bitty cute little kids. But 2nd grade? Sure, they are still cute but they are older and smarter. It's a whole different ballgame. Am I ready for it?

So yesterday of all days I decided that YES, I will send the teachers an end-of-the-year gift. Yeah. The day before the last day of school. I have no idea what they want or need. All I really know is that one of her teachers LOVES frogs. Since I totally procrastinated I had to think fast.

WELL! Since time is not of the essence I decided I would go ahead and SEW! Since we're moving back to Hawaii really wanted to use some GORGEOUS Hawaiian print fabric but what do you know. There isn't much of a selection here! I managed to find a few pieces from my own stash and went to work. While I'd rather the prints be more uniform and/or from the same designer line of fabric it wasn't happening. I had to use what I had.

I ended up making both of her teachers three reversible journal covers and wrapped it with a non-matching ribbon:



On the ribbon I wrote, "When you use these think of me....."

Last week I sent in some hibiscus cupcakes to Kailani's class that I ordered from a local bakery (we are not allowed to send in home baked goods - only baked goods from a licensed bakery.) as a "farewell Kailani" token. They turned out okay. Taste-wise I would also say "just okay". For the price I was expecting a bit more. I don't think any of the 1st graders had any complaints!


So goodbye 1st grade, hello summer vacation!

11 comments:

  1. It's so bittersweet! Why must they grow so fast? Congratulations to your little one. I'm sure she will be an amazing 2nd grader.

    Your covers came out beautifully! I love the pattern and the ribbon. Very clever.

    Although you said the cupcakes were just okay, the frosting looks gorgeous! I have no idea how they pipe those hibiscus flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am impressed. They look beautiful! I love the fabric that I can see on the top journal. Last minute for me would have been a gift certificate to Dunkin Donuts! Hah! I can't believe you took out your sewing machine...what lucky teachers!
    I am not ready for my little one to go to prek 4! I can't imagine 2nd grade! I am fearful of how grown up girls are at even 5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure your notebook covers will be loved, I used to like anything handmade like that! It's too bad about the cupcakes but at least they looked beautiful! Second grade, yes that's the start of big girl school for sure:( For some reason once they started second grade my formers kinders looked so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how sweet. I am so happy for you to be returning to Hawaii! I wish we could escape the NC stupidity with you! Maybe I will stow away in your luggage with little Lucy too, of course!

    And I HATE all the baked good rules too! It is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww those are so sweet! Love the fabrics.

    Passing on the "Say Something Sweet" award to you, come and pick it up.

    You have been an amazing friend over the past several years. You have inspired me by your creativity, generosity and you are always at the ready to laugh with me and sometimes at me ..haha. I adore you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Sandy - I know.....they grow up way too fast! I think with the cupcakes I was envisioning fondant flowers? (I have no idea why). Funny - I wasn't too happy with them but if they were placed in front of me right now I'd probably eat 10 of them.

    *Kim - If there were a Dunkin Donuts close by (remember....I'm WAAAAAY out in the country!) I would've totally done that! ;) BTW - I didn't even send Kailani to pre-4! So when kindergarten rolled around I was a nervous wreck!

    *Katie - thanks! I hesitated making them because I'm really not sure if they are appreciated. :( I guess I'm just used to her former teachers that make it a point to at least say "thank you"....

    *Kate - OMG your post made me bust out loud! I'm feeling you girl....totally feeling you!

    *Steph - Did you read my meme? How an unexpected compliment means so much? WOW. Those are some serious sweet words! They really mean a lot to me! (And yes...laughing at you brings me so much evil pleasure! LOL) THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great gift idea! I love it! Beautiful, useful and personal. My first grader just graduated yesterday, too. Look out second grade! How are they growing up so fast?

    Thanks for tagging me. I'm buried under a pile of papers and to do lists, but I will get to it as soon as I can.

    Happy beginning of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. following from MBC.
    Stop by http://luckyjune.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh... Congratulations to your little one! The journals are such a great idea. I'm sure the teacher LOVED it.

    Hope your return home to Hawaii is painless and easy. Oh... and.... Welcome Back! :)

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great gift that you did there! Sometimes it's those last minute things that couldn't have worked any better.
    Congrats to your kiddo! Mine is moving up to second grade two.
    Where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon, I mentioned your blog and linked on my awards post. I highlighted new blogs I have discovered and really liked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!